Equestrian Training Programme Instructor
Festina Lente Mission Statement
The mission of Festina Lente is to provide a range of integrated training, occupational, learning and employment opportunities to people with disabilities. These services are provided through equestrianism, horticulture and community-based activities with an emphasis on choice, personal development and progression. The services are provided through the following:
• Equestrian Training Programme
• Transition Training Programme
• Festina Lente Riding School
• Equine Assisted Learning
• Equine Facilitated Education Programme
• Therapeutic Riding Service
• Saol Anois Day Service
• Festina Lente Gardens
Job Title: Equestrian Training Programme Instructor (Specified Purpose Contract)
Location: Old Connaught Avenue, Bray, Co Wicklow
Reporting to: Equestrian Learning Centre Manager
Responsible to: Chief Executive Officer
To work with the Festina Lente Equestrian Learning Centre specifically the Equestrian Training Programme Team in
the delivery of QQI Level 4 Major Award in Horsemanship to people with disabilities and or dual diagnosis and
provide supervision and support for Yard activities.
JOB DESCRIPTION: Your principal duties and responsibilities will be:
1. To assist in implementing the Equestrian Training Programme, as outlined in the programme descriptor, in conjunction with the Equestrian Training Programme Staff.
2. To assist in managing the delivery of the programme, including all yard based activities, QQI modules and other activities as set out in the programme timetable.
3. To supervise, manage and support a team of learners on the equestrian yard ensuring the safety and welfare of learners and horses, while supervising a variety of stable and yard tasks
4. To facilitate interactions with equines, employing a model of natural horsemanship, as supported by the approaches and techniques developed by Festina Lente
5. To liaise with the ELC Manager in the monitoring and assurance of programme quality in order to apply consistently the quality assurance procedures set out by the SOLAS Training Standards System and as agreed with QQI
6. To contribute towards the evaluation of the delivery of the training programme on an annual basis.
7. To act as an advocate for learners involved in the programme
8. To facilitate and evaluate person centred planning, in the form of individualised training plans
9. To liaise with other organisations/professionals as required
10. To comply with the Health and Safety requirements of the organisation
11. To attend staff meetings and training as required
12. To build and maintain excellent working relationships with colleagues, learners & service users
13. This job description is not exhaustive and other duties may be assigned from time to time in accordance with the needs of the service. This job description may be revised to take account of changing circumstances or requirements
Other Duties will include:
• To contribute to the overall strategic planning of Festina Lente
PERSON SPECIFICATION: The person appointed to this role will ideally meet the following requirements:
• QQI Level 6 in Social Care or related field.
• Experience of supervising and motivating people, ideally in an equestrian context
• Experience working with people with intellectual disabilities and dual diagnosis
• Experience delivering training programmes
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Manages your own workload effectively while responding flexibly to new demands
• Has the capacity to integrate well with, and contribute to, an evolving organization
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and an ability to adapt communication styles to suit the needs of individual learners
• An ability to maintain calm and composed in a busy and demanding environment
• An ability to multitask and adapt to change as a feature of the working day
• An ability to respond professionally and patiently to behaviours that challenge
• Committed to working hard
• Proven ability to work on own initiative within a flexible, co-operative team structure
• Solution focused
• Qualification in Social Care
• Experience of delivering training to and supporting people with disabilities or those experiencing social and/or economic exclusion
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
€31,000 pro rata (€15.30 hourly)
Duration of contract
Specified Purpose Contract
Annual leave will be 22 working days pro rata, exclusive of public holidays.
Compulsory annual leave will apply to facilitate administration of the academic term.
Annual Leave is taken during Easter, August and Christmas.
Monday – Friday: 8am – 4.30pm unpaid 60 minute lunch break at 1pm
Employees have access to PRSA scheme.
Travel & Subsistence
There may be a requirement to travel to work outside normal working hours.
Location of the position
Old Connaught Avenue, Bray, Co. Wicklow.
HOW TO APPLY
Application forms can be found on our website at: https://www.festinalente.ie/forms/festina-lente-job-application-form/
Informal enquiries can be made by contacting Clodagh Carey, Clodagh@festinalente.ie
Closing Date for Applications 17th November 2023
FESTINA LENTE CHILD PROTECTION POLICY / GARDA VETTING / MANDATORY DECLARATION
Garda Vetting for all employees and volunteers is compulsory and those candidates invited for interview will be asked to complete a Garda Vetting form for submission at that time.
The successful candidate will be provided with a copy of the Festina Lente Child Protection Policy and will be required to sign their acceptance of the contents of this document.
A Mandatory Declaration Form must be signed in advance of commencement of employment.
Interviews will be held week beginning 20th November 2023
Please note that interviews will consist of a panel
Selection will involve short listing of applicants for interview based on the criteria for the position as outlined in this job description. A panel may be formed from this process.
Festina Lente is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes suitably qualified applicants from all sections of society