Festina Lente Mission Statement
Festina Lente provides a unique range of equestrian and horticultural activities, training, recreational events and employment services options with a strong emphasis on social inclusion, choice and personal development
Job Title: Garden Maintenance Person / Groundskeeper (Pobal Funded)
Location: Old Connaught Avenue, Bray, Co Wicklow
Reporting to: Garden Manager
Responsible to: Garden Manager /Chief Executive Officer
Main purpose: The overall purpose of this role is to help the Garden team develop the Festina Lente gardens to their full potential, increasing visitor footfall and maximising revenue for the charity. By developing the gardens we will increase plant and course/workshop sales, build awareness of the important work undertaken within Festina Lente and help raise funds to further our work promoting opportunity and social inclusion.
Position Summary: This role is important in the strategic development of horticulture side of the charity. You will play a valuable part in maintaining the gardens to a high level so that your work will help to create a space that promotes wellbeing and footfall in the gardens.
JOB DESCRIPTION: Main responsibilities of this position include:
- Working as part of a team planning, planting and maintaining all flower beds in the ornamental garden for the spring and summer season.
- Maintaining the raised beds at the entrance.
- Grass cutting, fertilising, spraying of weeds and general lawn care.
- Maintaining and cleaning all paths and edging.
- Assisting in the maintenance of the ponds and pond life.
- Working with colleagues maintaining the sensory, woodland trails and meadows.
- Hedge cutting.
- Pruning of the trees for summer and winter.
- Seasonal tasks (bulb planting, dividing and transplanting, selling Christmas trees).
- Helping prepare plants for sale in the garden shop.
- Operating and safe use of machinery eg. hedge strimmer, leaf blower, driving a tractor and trailer, lawnmowers etc.
- Handling sprayers in accordance with health and safety guidelines.
- Assisting with garden projects.
- Tidying and maintaining allotment plots after the season is over, this work is undertaken in January of each year.
- Supporting volunteers working in the gardens.
- Answering queries and giving advice about our garden services, items for sale in the shop and plant selection to customers.
- Attending all designated training workshops.
- Active participation in team and staff meetings.
- Complying with the Health & Safety requirements of the organisation and legislation.
- Building and maintaining excellent working relationships with colleagues, learners, service users and customers of Festina Lente
- Contributing to the overall strategic planning of Festina Lente Gardens
- Undertaking any other reasonable duties which may be assigned to you by the CEO
- To be physically fit, hard-working, with a positive attitude, the ability to demonstrate initiative and a good eye for detail
- Safe pass and manual handling certification
- Highly motivated and willing to work hard and in all sorts of weather
- Team player
- Full clear driving licence and a trailer licence would be an advantage
- Landscape maintenance and Horticultural experience
- Trained and certified in the use of pesticide control
- Advanced/Higher Certificate (preferred)
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience of being a team player
- Proven ability to work on own initiative within a flexible, co-operative team structure
- Solution focused
- Ability to work well on their own, working to schedules and within time frames
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Working Hours: 8.30am – 5.00pm
- Salary: €21,294.00
- Pension: Employees have access to PRSA scheme.
- Working Week: Monday to Friday
- Hours : 39 Hours
Access to a PRSA Scheme
Ongoing training and Development
Free on-site parking
Bike to work scheme
Annual Leave: Annual Leave will be 20 days per annum. Entitlement to Public Holidays will be in accordance with the Working Time Act of 1997.
Location of the position: Successful applicants will be required to work at Festina Lente, Old Connaught Ave, Bray, Co Wicklow
HOW TO APPLY
Closing Date for Applications: 30th January 2022
Please forward your cv to email@example.com
Please email Michelle Kavanagh, Michelle.Kavanagh@festinalente.ie if you have any queries.
Interviews will be held: Thursday 3rd February, 2022
Second interview will be held as appropriate.
Selection will involve short listing of applicants for interview based on the criteria for the position as outlined in this job description.
A file may be formed for future vacancies.
For Your Information:
- The position advertised is funded through Pobal. Pobal administer and manage Government and EU funding to address disadvantage and support social inclusion.
- Evidence of your eligibility for this position as laid down in Pobal Guidelines must accompany your application.
Qualifying Criteria for all applicants applying for Pobal Funded Positions:
- Person in receipt of Jobseeker’s Benefit (JB), Jobseeker’s Assistance (JA), one parent family payment (OPF) or the Jobseeker Transitional Payment
- Persons in receipt of disability allowance (DA), invalidity pension, blind person’s pension or other disability benefit.
- Travellers in receipt of Jobseeker’s Benefit or Jobseeker’s Assistance or one parent family benefit.
- Stabilised and recovering drug mis‐users.
- People employed from Tús, Gateway, Community Employment (CE) and Job Initiatives (JI) schemes are deemed eligible but cannot simultaneously hold a CSP and Tús/Gateway/CE/JI/RSS position. Former RSS workers who were previously CE participants are also eligible.
Festina Lente is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes suitably qualified applicants from all sections of society