Supported Helper Facilitator
Festina Lente Mission Statement
The mission of Festina Lente is to provide a range of integrated training, occupational, learning and employment opportunities to people with disabilities. These services are provided through equestrianism, horticulture and community-based activities with an emphasis on choice, personal development and progression. The services are provided through the following:
• Equestrian Training Programme
• Transition Training Programme
• Festina Lente Riding School
• Equine Assisted Learning
• Equine Facilitated Education Programme
• Therapeutic Riding Service
• Saol Anois Day Service
• Festina Lente Gardens
Festina Lente was established in 1988 and over the years has developed a wide range of equestrian related activities to people of all ages, from diverse backgrounds and with a variety of learning styles. Central to this is the role of the horse and its’ capacity to facilitate each person in their preferred activity or programme.
Job Title: Supported Helper Programme Facilitator (Part time)
Reporting to: Equine Facilitated Education Programme / Supported Helper Programme Co-ordinator
Responsible to: Chief Executive Officer
Main purpose: The principle aim of this position is to support young people and adults with an intellectual and/or physical disability to acquire the necessary skills, knowledge and understanding necessary to help in an equestrian environment with an aim to build confidence, self – esteem, independence and team work. All activities are ground based and do not involve riding the horses.
JOB DESCRIPTION: Your principal duties and responsibilities will be:
This job description is not exhaustive and other duties may be assigned from time to time in accordance with the needs of the service. This job description may be revised to take account of changing circumstances and requirements.
Other Duties will include:
• Providing support and/or supervision in the Equestrian Yard
• To contribute to the overall strategic planning of Festina Lente
PERSON SPECIFICATION: The person appointed to this role will ideally meet the following requirements:
• Suitable and relevant experience of working with horses
• A minimum of 3 years’ experience of working with young people in a supervisory capacity
• Experience working within the area of disability
• Knowledge of basic computer skills required
In your role as Assistant Supported Helper Facilitator, your principal duties and responsibilities will be:
1. To support each young person and adult in maximising their personal independence and social and emotional competencies during their time in the Supported Helpers Programme
2. To act as an advocate for each Supported Helpers in the programme
3. To liaise with the Equestrian Facilitated Education Programme / Supported Helper Programme Facilitator and staff in relation to the preparation of activities and records necessary for record keeping
4. To liaise with the Supported Helpers family members/guardians and/or support persons as appropriate
5. To manage computer records and use IT resources to produce reports as appropriate
6. To liaise with the Riding School staff team to ensure the welfare, of the horses
7. To comply with the Health and Safety requirements of the organisation
8. To attend staff meetings and training as required
9. To build and maintain excellent working relationships with colleagues, learners & service users
10. To contribute to the overall strategic planning of Festina Lente
The duties contained in this job description, are now your primary duties however, it is not an exhaustive list and the other duties may be assigned from time to time in accordance with the needs of the service. This job description may be revised to take account of changing circumstances or requirements.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Employment Commencement Date: September 2022
Salary: €10.50 per hour
Pension: Employees have access to PRSA scheme.
Annual Leave will be 20 days per annum (pro rata). Entitlement to Public Holidays will be in accordance with the Working Time Act of 1997 (pro rata). Compulsory Leave must be taken at:
• School holidays
The remaining annual leave must be taken during school holidays (mid-terms, Easter and July and August)
8.5 hours working on Saturday with a 60 minute unpaid lunch break at 1.00pm.
To be agreed
Duration of contract
The contract is a Permanent Part time contract
Travel & Subsistence:
A fleet of vehicles is available. However, there may be a requirement from time to time to travel in your own vehicle. If and when these occasions arise, expenses will be paid in accordance with Festina Lente travel rates
Location of the position
Old Connaught Avenue, Bray, Co. Wicklow.
HOW TO APPLY
Closing Date for Applications: 2nd August 2022
Informal enquiries can be made by email to Clodagh Carey, Clodagh@festinalente.ie or phoning 01 272 0704 (ext.201).
Application forms can be found on our website: https://www.festinalente.ie/forms/festina-lente-job-application-form/
Interviews will be held Saturday 6th August 2022
The Interview will consist of two parts: The formal and first part of the interview will consist of a panel interview and the second part will be a practical assessment of your horsemanship skills.
Both parts are likely to take approximately 1 hour in total.
Please dress appropriately for the practical session. This clothing will be acceptable for the formal interview also.
Selection will involve short listing of applicants for interview based on the criteria for the position as outlined in this job description.
A file may be formed for future vacancies.
FESTINA LENTE CHILD PROTECTION POLICY / GARDA VETTING / MANDATORY DECLARATION
Garda Vetting for all employees and volunteers is compulsory and those candidates invited for interview will be asked to complete a Garda Vetting form for submission at that time.
The successful candidate will be provided with a copy of the Festina Lente Child Protection Policy and will be required to sign their acceptance of the contents of this document.
A Mandatory Declaration Form must be signed in advance of commencement of employment.
Festina Lente is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes suitably qualified applicants from all sections of society